Pages

Monday, August 12, 2013

Sequestration and the military

I do not come from a military family.  My brother (just now 19) joined the Marine Corp back in December 2012.  I have never seen such pride - my brother is truly proud of what he does and the fact that he is a Marine.  The military is a way out for a lot of young teens who, for one reason or another, cannot afford to attend college.  These brave men and women put their lives on the line to protect that liberties that a lot of Americans take for granted.  As I'm sure many of you are aware, sequestration is about to hit the DoD budget which will mean a lot of cuts for current servicemen as well as reduction in overall armed service forces (which could mean fewer opportunities for graduating seniors).

Here is a good article that summarizes some of the impact of sequestration (obviously the full impact will not be known (or felt) until it actually hits): You're About to be Squeezed

You can also contact your local representatives directly through this website and let them know that this is an important issue to you and you disagree with the pending budget cuts on our armed forces.

One last point: I do not disagree with decreasing our military budget over time.  I believe the US spends WAY too much on defense in comparison to other nations and that money could be better spent in other areas.  I do disagree with sequestration and the way Congress is choosing to go about lowering the DoD's budget.  I believe it's something that should be done gradually over time - I don't believe current servicemen's pay/benefits (or that of our veterans) should be impacted, but I believe we should slowly reduce numbers (i.e. recruit less and don't necessarily replace veterans who retire) and purchase less equipment or retire some of our existing equipment.

Disclaimer: this post is purely my opinion and is not meant to offend any one in any way.  If you choose to comment on this post, please do so respectfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment